Friday, December 18, 2009

I'm so glad...

That I took the sage advice of a few of my mentors and entered the Designer Competition over at Ginger Scraps. I have to admit it was grueling and stressful at times, I usually design quickly- but having the deadline looming was always in my mind. It forced me to focus my creative energy and know that I had to turn out excellent product the first time, not the third or fifth. It disciplined me, and forced me to learn just how all those lovely little CU shortcuts and tricks work/were made so that I can make my own.

I am more proud of my kit in the final round than anything I've created so far, and feel like I've finally found my 'voice' as a designer. I entered the competition knowing that I occasionally made pretty things if I tried, but didn't feel very secure and definitely didn't even call myself a designer yet. The sense of confidence I have in my own work now is amazing, and I can't even describe how happy that makes me.

I also found a small but wonderful group of Geek Fans- or perhaps they found me? The e-mails, IMs, comments, and personal messages really make my day- and I adore you all!

Overall- I think doing this competition was the best thing I could've done- and whether I win or not, the experience alone is absolutely priceless. And don't worry my fellow geeks- even if I don't win I'll be selling somewhere, mark my words- I'm determined now ;) Thank you to everyone who helped me out along the way, encouraged me, and scrapped with my goodies. You keep the Geek going ;) I'll be doing a CT call as soon as I find a store, so be sure to keep an eye out ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment